Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Class Assignment- The State of the Union: Post 1

What media do you like working in?
I mainly enjoy working digitally, but I also like watercolors for softer effects and textures; I also like using graphite and sometimes ink.

What media do you hate working in?
I'm not too good with acrylics, and I could possibly enjoy them more if I practiced; I don't really like charcoal mainly because I'm not great with blending or handling smearing.

What media would you like to try, but haven't?
I haven't really tried much 3-d focused media used for sculpture. I've made sculptures, but I've never been very active in general with any of the mediums involved.

List three non-Illustration classes that have influenced you and/or your work positively.
Life Drawing really helped with working with the figure and expanding my sketchbook. Design Systems was really helpful in my craftsmanship, seeing as I often smudge, smear, and make messes on everything including digital prints. My Animation Techniques class was also helpful in playing with movement and 3-d aspects of a figure.

How has the work of your peers influenced you and your work?
They've really helped me see really interesting new styles and concepts I'd never even considered before. One thing I really noticed is incorporating texture more and how paint and other drawing mediums have been played with stroke and style-wise.

What sort of subject matter do you like to create work about?
I enjoy slice of life moments a lot of the time, with bits of fantasy and magic occasionally and sometimes like to draw simple scenes of people and animals in daily life. I really would like to work more with bits of humor in my work, lately.

What sort of subject matter do you like to read about?
I read a lot of short stories usually set in modern times, and I'll read advice columns in the paper as well as a couple philosophy books; I've been reading Descartes' ideas recently.

What kind of music do you like?
My music tastes are pretty random; I'll listen to a lot of trance and techno as well as Frank Sinatra. I'm open to most music; the only music I honestly don't listen to is country.

What non-art related interest/hobbies/skills do you have?
I don't really have many, but I do like baking different dessert recipes.

What is something that you like that nobody else likes?
I like the game Bioshock a lot.

If you had run of the world's museums, what three works of original art would you like own?
Any piece done by Charles Schultz, M.C. Escher, and Salvador Dali.

1 comment:

Shof Coker said...

hey Lisa, my new blog is http://cokerillos.blogspot.com/